I’m in denial about the end of summer. I know that most people in the US consider Labor Day to be the unofficial start of fall, but since I live in Southern Virginia where the whether tends to stay warmer longer, I say that it is still summer until October 1. At least.
At least the end of summer marks the start of football season!
Anyway, Labor Day will be here in just a few days, so I wanted to do a quick recipe round-up of some of our favorite dishes for saying goodbye to summer with your friends and family. Without further ado, here are some awesome Labor Day recipes:
Harvest the rest of the yellow squash or zucchini from your garden for these awesome squash boasts. They’re hearty enough to be a complete meal, or you can serve them as a side dish. Personally, I love to eat these with a huge salad on the side. Which brings me to my next recipe…
Whatever is in season n your garden right now can go into a huge salad. This dressing is the bomb. It’s also great on chicken fingers for the kids, sandwiches, and more, so make a huge batch to use over the next few weeks!
Fire up the grill! Instead of boring burgers, thought, try this totally yummy chicken recipe. If I was naming a recipe of the year, this would be it. This is hands-down the best recipe I’ve tried all summer, and when the weather isn’t cooperating any longer for grilling, we’ll be making it inside in the oven.
Last year, I couldn’t believe that summer was ending already…and I suddenly find myself in the same situation. Grab one of the last watermelons of the season and make these yummy slushes. Spike with a little somethin’ somethin’ or learn it perfectly refreshing and virgin so the kids can enjoy.
Soon, we’ll be saying goodbye to days of endless sunshine, but that doesn’t mean your dessert can’t be bright and sunny! This Sunshine Wine Cake recipe is one we love, and you can use your favorite wine in the mix to give it a unique taste you love.
In addition to the above recipes right here on The PinterTest Kitchen, we’ve collected some of the best end-of-summer recipes from food bloggers around the world. Here are some that we’ll definitely be trying out in the near future:
- Ratatouille from Add a Pinch (@addapinch on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Lemon Blueberry Scones from A Foodie Affair (@afoodieaffair on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Cabbage and Pineapple Slaw Burgers from Alida’s Kitchen (@alidaskitchen on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Meat Lover’s Pasta Salad from Will Cook For Smiles (@willcook4smiles on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Heirloom Tomato Tart from Chocolate and Carrots (@chocandcarrots on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Sweet Tea Vodka Lemonade from The Wannabe Chef (@wannabechefevan on Twitter and thewannabechef on Pinterest)
- Jerk Shrimp from The Squishy Monster (@aSquishyMonster on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Coffee Granita from The Italian Dish (@italiandish on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Greek Portobello Mushroom Burgers from Chocolate Moosey (@chocolatemoosey on Twitter and Pinterest)
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze from Kitchen Joy (@kitchenjoymandy on Twitter and kitchenjoyblog on Pinterest)
What’s your favorite Labor Day recipe? Leave a link in a comment below!
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Friday Frenzy #20: Chocolate Edition - October 20, 2017
- S’mores Cookie Cups #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017