Whenever I see avocados on sale, they somehow magically find their way into my cart, much to the dismay of my fiance (who is totally mistaken when he calls guacamole “snot”).
I gotta sneak ’em in if there’s any hope of him eating even a tiny piece.
But I love to find creative ways to use avocado, since it is such a healthy replacement in everything from smoothies to brownies.
The whole family loves deviled eggs, so why not replace some of the egg yolk with avocado? My mom thought it was a great idea too, since my dad is also not a fan, so we tried out an avocado deviled egg recipe the last time I was in PA for a visit. It was supposed to be our little secret.
And we would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn’t been for the slightly green filling color and a pup named Scooby-Dooby-Do! *shakes fist*
Okay, no Scooby. But the avocado does leave the yolks looking fairly green, and you can definitely taste it, unlike some recipes where the avocado just melts into the background, hidden from suspicious taste buds.
Oh well, more for us! I happen to LOVE avocado, and these deviled eggs were pretty darn yummy. They’re perfect for a picnic or summer potluck where you want to bring something a little different. (This cucumber dill salad is a great option too.)
Plus, crispy bacon on top! How can you say no?
Give it a try, especially if you love avocados as much as I do!
A fun twist on traditional deviled eggs.
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 ripened avocado (make sure it is soft)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 slices of bacon fried crispy and crumbled
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Cut hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out yolk and put yolk in a medium bowl.
- Cut avocado in half and scoop half out into the bowl with egg yolks. (Reserve other half of avocado for another recipe.)
- Mash the yolks and the avocado together.
- Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt into the egg yolk and avocado mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Put mixture into a piping bag and fill the egg whites with filling.
- Sprinkle with paprika and the crispy bacon pieces.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- How to Make Drinking Vinegar + My Blueberry Shrub Recipe - May 12, 2017
- Spiralized Kaleidoscope Salad - May 2, 2017
- Smokey Dijon Salmon Skewers #RecipeMakeover - April 28, 2017