I think this is seriously one of my favorite recipes of all time!
The May theme for Bread Bakes is “Stuffed,” and when it was announced, I scoured Pinterest for ideas. Then, I remembered, I already had an awesome stuffed bread recipe pinned – Cheddar Bacon Stuffed Pretzel Buns from Yammies Noshery.
It’s been on my Pinterest board for the longest time. I’ve just been chickening out on making them. Jess is the bread baker in this family…usually. Yeast breads scare me a little! So, I kept putting off testing this recipe.
But we have success! Sweet, sweet success. Actually, savory success in this case!
If you usually don’t bake yeast breads, don’t worry! This is a pretty forgiving recipe. I made a perfect batch for the Mayweather – Pacquiao and everyone at our little party loved them. A few tips:
- Don’t be afraid to really stuff them. The dough will rise a lot in the oven, so add so much filling that they are nearly overflowing.
- Be careful when you cut the cross in the top, that you don’t cut so deep you hit filling. The cheese will ooze out everywhere.
- You can use other fillings – pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni would be delicious, or try ham and Swiss cheese for a completely different variation.
Instead of using dried herbs for the butter that tops these buns off, I used the Italian Herb Paste made by Gourmet Garden.
They sent me a bunch of their herb pastes and other goodies to review for an upcoming event we’re part of – Hot Summer Eats! It’s coming in June, and you aren’t going to want to miss it if you are a fan of summertime recipes. Stay tuned!
Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Big thanks to Jenni of Pastry Chef Online for hosting Bread Bakers this month!
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme.
Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com
Here are all of the awesome blogs playing along this month:
- Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Monkey Bread from Robin at A Shaggy Dough Story
- Cinnamon Roll Quickbread from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Cream Pan – Japanese Custard Filled Buns from Shireen at Ruchik Randhap
- Figgy Olive Oil and Sesame Challah from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Jam filled Danish Pastries from Holly at A Baker’s House
- No-Knead Apricot Sweet Rolls from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Baked Peas Kachori from Shilpi at SimplyVeggies
- Cauliflower, Paneer & Peas Stromboli from Priya at I Camp in my Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Stuffed Pretzel Buns from Allison at The PinterTest Kitchen
- Cheesy Pizza Wheels from Tara at Noshing with the Nolands
- Chicken Stuffed Casserole Bread from Vimala at Cooking Club
- Cuban Sandwich-Stuffed Cuban Bread from Jenni at Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Gruyère Stuffed Crusty Loaves from Adam at Bakers and Best
- Jalapeño Cheddar Stuffed Pretzel Rolls from Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Jamaican Meat Loaf from Kelly of Passion Kneaded
- Paneer Kulchi from Anshie at Spice Roots
- Prosciutto, Salami and Mozzarella Stromboli from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Russian Pirozhki from Mireille at Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Sri Lankan Seeni Sambol Buns from Pavani at Cook’s Hideout
- Stuffed Bazlama – Turkish Bread from Sneha at Sneha’s Recipe
- Stuffed Black Garlic Monkey Bread from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Stuffed Pretzel Bites from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Tiganopsomo – Feta-Stuffed Fried Bread from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini and Goat Cheese Stuffed Bread from Aisha at La cocina de Aisha
Do you have a favorite stuffed bread recipe?