I think I have a scone problem. I just can’t resist them! I’ve never met a scone I didn’t like.
My favorite buttermilk scones are perfect with bits of fruit and chocolate in them, and they are extremely moist. But sometimes, you want a crumbier, dryer scone that is perfect for dunking in tea or coffee. This scone fits the bill!
The cardamom flavor really shines through with these scones, and the dates add just a tiny bit of extra sweetness. It pairs perfectly with chai tea or black tea flavored with a bit of cinnamon. They are also delicious topped with jam.
Until recently, I didn’t realize that some people bake their scones in one large flat ball and then cut them into slices after they come out of the oven. I think that’s a big mistake! If you cut beforehand, all sides get browned nicely in the oven, creating that bit of crumbly, crunch crust.
Without further ado, here’s the printable recipe:
Crumbly scones filled with cardamom flavor and sweet date pieces.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cardamom
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
- Whisk together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- Cut cold butter into the dry ingredients to form a crumb.
- Add butter, egg, milk, and figs and combine into a dough, making sure the fig pieces are evenly distributed.
- Form into two balls and flatten on ungreased cookie sheet. Cut into 6-8 slices and spread apart slightly so they are not touching. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, until scones are browned slightly.
This recipe was adopted from this recipe from Wilde Flavors.
I love scones! Here are a few other favorite scone recipes…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Friday Frenzy #3: Getting Married Edition - June 23, 2017
- Friday Frenzy Link Party #2: Cute and Cuddly Edition - June 16, 2017
- Strawberry and Fig Jam Crescents - June 12, 2017