I just love semi-homemade recipes like these cheesecake swirl brownies. They’re easy to whip up, but also a little special compared to a regular boxed brownie mix.
Because of the cheesecake swirl in this recipe, these brownies are more fudgy than cakey. I prefer fudgy brownies anyway, but Jess likes cakey brownies. She is clearly wrong, but if you’re wrong too and prefer cakey brownies, this recipe may not be for you. She’s got an awesome from-scratch brownie recipe for you (click here), if cakey is what you prefer.
Personally, I love the cheesecake flavor added to these brownies. It really takes them from yummy, normal brownies to WOW!
I think I ate half the pan in one sitting the last time I made these brownies. No self control when it comes to cheesecake and chocolate!
Here’s the printable recipe so you can try out these brownies yourself:
Jazz up your boxed brownie mix with this cheesecake-inspired recipe.
- 1 box brownie mix + ingredients it calls for on the box (typically water, oil, and eggs)
- 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the box.
- Cream together the cream cheese and sugar until well combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Pour the brownie batter into a 9x13 pan. Use a spoon to add dollops of the cream cheese mixture, and use a knife to swirl the two together.
- Bake according to directions on the back of the box. Due to the addition of the cream cheese mixture, you may need to bake for 10-15 minutes longer than the box instructions. An inserted toothpick should come out clean, but be careful not to over bake.
- Cool and cut into squares.
You can use any favorite brownie recipe instead of a box brownie mix if you want.
Here are a few other ways to jazz up a boxed brownie mix.