Caramel is the ingredient for the Monthly Ingredient Challenge. It was a great choice from Victoria from The DIY Foodie. What to make? With the holidays coming I knew I needed a new cookie to try, since I am known as the cookie lady.
I started searching on Pinterest and came across a version of the recipe from Chocolate with Grace. It called for Rolo candies, and I happened to have a bag of mini Rolos in my baking stash. I have to hide my chocolate chips and candy for my baking from my husband or he will eat it before I get to bake with it!
Warm cookies with caramel, chocolate and crushed salty pretzels make a tasty treat. You should definitely add this recipe to your holiday cookie trays. It’s a winner!
Check out the full recipe below, as well as everyone else posting yummy caramel recipes this month for the Monthly Ingredient Challenge – just click on any of the pictures to see their recipes!
Yummy pretzel cookies with a surprise inside!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 crushed pretzels
- Bag of mini Rolo candies (about 3 dozen)
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a bowl. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in crushed pretzels.
- Take a spoon of dough and wrap it around a mini Rolo.
- Bake at 350 for about 8-11 minutes, just until golden. Do not overbake or they will become hard.
If you use regular size Rolos, double all the ingredients, because it will make bigger cookies.