But I grew into them. I’m still not going to take a bite of a tomato, but I like a few mixed in to add a fresh taste to whatever I’m eating. And I’ve grown to really love sun dried tomatoes. I love the chewy sweetness they add to dishes. So, when I saw a pin for a chicken dish using sun dried tomatoes, I just had to give it a try! (The original recipe is from Menu Musings of a Modern American Mom.)
Plus, it has basil in it, and y’all know I have a love affair with basil!
The recipe turned out great and is now in our rotation of dinner recipes. I especially love it because it’s so great for using leftover chicken, which always seems to be floating around in my fridge.
To make this recipe, you’ll need chicken tenders, olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, chopped sun dried tomatoes, flour, chicken broth, wine, butter, heavy cream, basic, salt, and pepper.
Start by seasoning your chicken tenders (or you can cut breasts into strips), and getting them into a hot pan with some oil. I really like to use the pepper grinder and sea salt grinder that McCormick makes.
I wasn’t paid to say that, for the record! I just really do love having freshly ground pepper and salt on hand.
But I digress. Once the chicken is cooked, remove to a plate and add the garlic and onion to the pan. Give them a few minutes to cook, then add in the chopped sun dried tomatoes.
Cook for a few minutes, making sure it doesn’t burn. Then sprinkle with flour and add the broth and wine. If you want, you can instead use all broth. I like the extra layer of flavor the wine adds to this dish.
Allow the mixture to reduce, then add the butter and heavy cream and allow to reduce even more. Add the chicken back to the pan.
Add the basil and remove from heat. I like to let it stand for a minute or too, which will let the sauce thicken a little. You can serve over noodles or rice (there’s lots of extra, yummy sauce) or you can serve it with side dishes (I like onion roasted potatoes as a side).
If you like sun dried tomatoes and basil, you’ll like this dish! Here’s the printable:
- 1½ pounds of chicken breast tenders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken and add to a hot pan with oil. Cook until just done and remove chicken to a plate.
- Add garlic and onion to pan and cook until soft. Add sun dried tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle with flour and add chicken and wine. Allow to simmer and reduce for 8 minutes.
- Add butter and heavy cream. Simmer for 5 more minutes, than add chicken back to pan and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add basil and remove from heat. Let stand for 1-2 minutes.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- DIY Unicorn Frappuccino with No Added Sugar #RecipeMakeover - April 27, 2017
- Sugar-Free Carrot Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Icing #RecipeMakeover - April 24, 2017
- Welcome to #RecipeMakeover 2017! - April 24, 2017