Breakfast is a very important part of the day. Living and working in the country you need something that sticks to the ribs. Cereal is filling but it’s gone in an hour and you’re hungry again. Eggs have protein and they keep you from getting hungry.
A few months ago I made the Hoidy-Toidy Ham and Egg Cups. Great for a brunch. Here is another recipe to use for a brunch. I pinned a version of this recipe from StickyGooeyCreamyChewy.com. They are also made in a muffin pan like the ham and egg cups.
Here are the ingredients: frozen pre-shredded hash brown style potatoes, eggs, flour, pre-cooked diced bacon, diced onions, chopped green peppers, pre-cooked sausage crumbles, shredded cheese, salt and pepper. If there are other things you like in your eggs feel free to use them! Whatever you like or have in the pantry is fine.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
For the nest part: Mix pre-shredded hash brown potatoes, eggs, and flour together in a bowl.
Spoon potato mixture into the muffin pan(about 1/3 full). Press mixture on the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
Bake about 25-30 minutes until golden brown. If the nests puff up to much scoop a little of the mixture out.
For the chicks: Prepare while the nests are baking. Fry the onions, peppers, ham, sausage and salt and pepper. Beat the eggs and add some shredded cheese. Add to the fried mixture and cook until the eggs are done.
Spoon egg mixture into the baked cups. Breakfast is ready.
These chicks in a nest are also great as a grab and go breakfast!
Here’s the printable:
- ½ of a 20-ounce package pre-shredded hash brown-style potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
- ⅓ cup diced green peppers
- ⅓ cup diced onions
- ⅓ cup pre-cooked sausage crumbles
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- Salt pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- Mix together the hash browns, flour, 1 egg, bacon, and ½ cup of cheese.
- Press mixture into lightly greased muffin tins and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- While cups are baking, saute the green peppers, onions, and sausage. Scramble and pour eggs into the pan and cook until done. (You can add other ingredients to this step if desired.)
- Spoon eggs into hash brown cups, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and serve hot.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Coconut Cream Pie - February 22, 2015
- Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad (Plus, a $50 Giveaway!) - January 24, 2015
- Easy Apple Tart with Toasted Pecans - November 21, 2014