I originally published this recipe on Instagram as part of a sponsored campaign I did for Smithfield Bacon… but y’all, these pancakes are so good that I just had to share ’em on the blog too!
Full disclosure: I was sent free bacon and paid for the Instagram campaign… but I was not compensated to post the recipe here on my blog.
Make no mistake… you are basically eating dessert for breakfast with this recipe. It’s got a good does of protein from the bacon, but at the end of the day, these are still chocolate pancakes. Great for a very special occasion, but perhaps not so great to make every morning. My stomach couldn’t take it, that’s for sure!
The chocolate maple syrup on top of these pancakes really guilds the lily. It’s just chocolate syrup and maple syrup mixed together and microwaved for a few seconds so it is warm. If you have extra, the syrup is also yummy on ice cream, waffles, and plain pancakes.
Here’s the printable recipe. Enjoy!
Dessert for breakfast! These sweet, chocolate pancakes have crunchy, salty bacon pieces in the batter and are topped with even more bacon for a hearty, special occasion breakfast.
- 7 strips bacon
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup bacon grease (reserved from cooking bacon)
- 1 cup flour
- OPTIONAL: chocolate maple syrup (1/8 cup chocolate syrup + 1/2 cup warmed maple syrup)
- Cook the bacon strips, reserving some of the bacon grease for use in the pancakes.
- Add all of the other ingredients to a bowl and mix by hand until just combined. (Add more water if you desire a thinner batter.)
- Crumble 3 strips of bacon into the batter and stir to combine.
- Add batter to hot pan. Flip when bubbles start to form on top.
- Plate finished pancakes, and top with additional bacon strips. Top with chocolate maple syrup if desired.
If you love pancakes, here are some of our other favorite pancake recipes…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Friday Frenzy #20: Chocolate Edition - October 20, 2017
- S’mores Cookie Cups #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017