When I first came up with the idea for #Choctoberfest, I knew I’d have a hard time choosing which dessert recipes to taste-test and share…
But I never imagined that I’d also be sharing some hearty dinner recipes!
I know chocolate beef stew sounds really weird.
And hey, I guess it is pretty weird!
But this recipe is a winner! We had a dinner party a few weeks ago, and this chocolate beef stew got a huge thumbs up from everyone who tried it. Most people didn’t realize it had chocolate in it until I told them! There was just a flavor that they couldn’t place.
The chocolate makes this stew especially hearty. It adds a deep, complex flavor.
#Chocotoberfest with Imperial Sugar is a week-long event where bloggers around the world are sharing their favorite chocolate recipes. For this recipe, I definitely recommend using Lindt Chocolate or Divine Chocolate (they’re two of our #Choctoberfest sponsors this year). Look for chocolate the is 70%+ dark chocolate for that rich, chocolaty flavor without too much sweetness.
Make sure you check out our giveaway, where you could wine some chocolate of your own!
Hat tip to Running to the Kitchen, who posted this Chocolate Red Wine Beef Stew that inspired me to make this recipe.
Here’s the recipe…
Hearthy beef stew with a secret ingredient.
- 1-2 pound chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce (like A1)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup red wine
- 2-3 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces dark beer
- 1-2 cups of baby carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-2 pounds potatoes (baby yukon gold or fingerling)
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% or above), chopped
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a dutch oven. Season the beef cubes and toss in the flour, then add to the oil.
- Once beef is browned, remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the hot oil and cook until soft. Add the garlic, chili, spices, steak sauce, and tomato paste and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and scrape the bottom of the dutch oven to remove and brown bits.
- Add 2 cup of beef broth, dark beer, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Re-add the beef to the pot, bring to a boil, and turn the heat down to medium.
- Allow to simmer with the lid on for 1 hour.
- Stir, and add the chocolate. Add additional beef broth if stew looks dry. Allow to simmer without lid for additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the broth has thickened.
And here’s the list of other bloggers posting chocolate recipes today for #Choctoberfest with Imperial Sugar:
The following two tabs change content below.
Allison is one of the co-founders here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She also works as a content marketing consultant and freelance writer - find out more at AllisonBoyer.com.