Everything is better with chocolate, right?
I have to admit, I was skeptical about chocolate with key lime pie at first. I do love chocolate-dipped frozen key lime pie, though, so I though, “Why not give it a try?”
I’m so glad I did!
Everything is better with chocolate. This just proves it.
What makes this pie so yummy is that the chocolate isn’t too overwhelming, the lime flavor still shines through.
Oh, and did I mention that this pie is SUPER EASY to make? I used a pre-made Oreo pie crust. The filling is just four ingredients – egg yolks, sweet and condensed milk, key lime juice, and melted chocolate.
I saw lots of different recipes online for key lime pie, but when in doubt, simple is best. You can juice real key limes, or if you can’t find them at your local grocery store, you might be able to find key lime juice instead, which is typically what I use.
I prefer dark or bittersweet chocolate in this recipe, but you can also experiment with white chocolate, milk chocolate, etc. And, while I prefer just a touch of chocolate on the top, you can also double or triple the amount used and instead mix it into the entire pie.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can of sweetened and condensed milk
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 1-2 ounces chocolate
- 1 Oreo cookie pie crust
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Beat the eggs yolks on high for about 5 milks. Add key lime juice and condensed milk and beat to combine.
- Reserve about 1/3 cup. Pour the rest into the pie crust.
- Melt the chocolate and pour into the reserved pie mixture.
- Pipe concentric circles of the chocolate mixture, then use a knife or toothpick to create the pattern.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until the filling is just barely set (it will still wobble).
- Allow the pie to cool and then refrigerate. Top with with whipped cream before serving if desired.
Dark or bittersweet chocolate works best for this recipe, but you can also experiment with milk, white, etc.
If you love the combination of chocolate and citrus as much as I do, here are a few other recipe to check out…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Crunchy Honey Cinnamon Chickpeas #FantasticalFoodFight - September 20, 2017
- Friday Frenzy #15: Cardboard Boxes Edition - September 15, 2017
- Applesauce Spice Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting - September 13, 2017