I never made tapioca pudding before, but my husband, Jim, likes it, so I decided to give it a try. I bought a box of quick cooking tapioca and checked out the recipe on the box.
The box happened to mention a chocolate version of tapioca pudding – perfect for our chocolate-themed #Choctoberfest week.
Actually, this is our very last post for the week. We’re ending #Choctoberfest on a high note. This Chocolate Tapioca Pudding was a big success in our house.
Here’s the printable recipe. Make sure you scroll down to see the full list of #Choctoberfest recipes being posted by #Choctoberfest bloggers today, and stay tuned for the full list of chocolatey recipes from the event, which we’ll be publishing in just a few days!
A chocolate version of a traditional sweet tapioca pudding.
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 white sugar (I used Imperial Sugar)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together sugar, tapioca, milk and beaten egg in a 2 quart saucepan until sugar dissolves.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes whisk in the chocolate.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes while whisking constantly to prevent it from getting lumpy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Pour into individual 1/2 cup serving bowls.