As I’ve noted in past posts, I’m not the biggest fan of veggies.
This problem is most pronounced when I’m cooking dinner for other people. This past December, I planned a dinner party for 13 people, so I neededsomekind of vegetable dish. What to do, what to do…
Make them as unhealthy as possible, of course! :-p
I saw a recipe for green bean fries on Pinterest, and since I love Applebees green been fries, I thought these would be a great choice for the holidays with friends. I was right – they were a huge hit. Even if we did mess up the recipe a little.
Then I went to look up this recipe again to write this post…and it was GONE! Don’t you just hate that? So I found one that was close (if I’m remembering correctly), but this is a good reminder to print out recipes you really love!
To make these crispy green been fries, you need raw green beans, buttermilk, cornmeal, cayenne pepper, salt, and oil.
You’re supposed to soak the beans in the buttermilk, then dredge in the cornmeal/spice mixture …but in the rush of making dinner for such a large group, we messed it up and mixed the ingredients together to make a kind of batter. It still worked out just fine! In fact, I really liked the outcome, so that’s what I’m going to teach you today.
Mix together the buttermilk, cornmeal, cayenne pepper, and salt. While you’re doing this, heat about 2 inches of oil in a dutch oven (you could also heat oil in your friar if you have one). You want the oil to be at least 375 degrees so the beans really sizzle.
Prepare the green beans by cutting off the ends. Once the oil is heated, dunk each bean in the batter, and drop into the oil. Flip beans carefully after about one minute. Once golden brown, remove to a paper towel to drain, and serve while still hot.
They’re great plain or with a dipping sauce like ranch or spicy mayonnaise. Definitely not the healthiest dish, but totally yummy! Here’s the printable recipe:
- 1 pound raw green beans
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil (enough for about 2 inches in a dutch oven)
- Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees.
- Prepare green beans by washing and cutting off the ends.
- Mix together cornmeal, buttermilk, salt, and pepper.
- When oil is ready, dip each green bean in the batter and drop in oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes, flipping gently at the half way point.
- Drain on paper towel and serve hot.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Low-Sugar Chocolate Egg Yolk Cookies - November 5, 2018
- Spicy Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2018
- Tropical Chocolate Mermaid Cupcakes #Choctoberfest - October 18, 2018