I am seriously loving #CookoutWeek! So many yummy recipes are being posted by fellow bloggers, and have you entered our giveaway yet? $300+ worth of cookout goodness.
Today, I’ve got a simple recipe for you, but this is perfect for any outdoor event – Dill Cucumber Salad!
It’s especially good if you’re serving something spicy, since the cucumbers will cool you off. Plus, these don’t need days to make like regular pickles. It’s a “quick pickle” so you can make it the night before or even if you only have a few hours to spare.
I made this for my fiance to take to work when they were having a baby shower for one of his coworkers, and several people asked for the recipe. I stole a small dish for myself too, and have to admit that I was sad he didn’t have any leftovers to bring home!
The dill in this recipe really takes it over the top. It gives the entire recipe a little something special.
But here’s my secret…
I didn’t just use straight dill. I used the “Dilly Dust” rub available from our #CookoutWeek sponsor Swine Dining! I don’t know what is in their Dilly Dust, but it is PERFECT for this recipe! In just a few weeks, they’ll be doing a Kickstarter so you can pick up their rubs, and I highly recommend it. Follow them on Facebook now so you get an alert when their Kickstarter is live!
Along with Dilly Dust, they also sent me their flagship rub, called “Wimpy’s BBQ Rub” which is a perfect versatile rub that is great on chicken, beef, pork, veggies, and more. They also sent me their Jamaican rub… and oh my goodness, you guys, I already used the container they sent me and am craving more! It is super good on sprinkled over chicken for a quick and easy dinner.
What I love more about Swine Dining is that they make their rubs in small batches. You aren’t getting filler and preservatives. You’re getting a delicious blend that you can smell as soon as you open your box.
You’ll definitely want some of their Dilly Dust to use in this recipe! However, while you wait for it to be available, you can use a bit of salt and pepper and some dill as a replacement. It just won’t be the same… but still good!
Here’s the recipe, and then scroll down to see the other #CookoutWeek recipes being posted today!
The perfect summer salad with cool flavors of cucumber, onion, and dill.
- 4 medium-sized cucumbers
- 1/2 mediume sized onion
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dilly Dust
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut stripes down the sides of the cucumbers, then slice thinly.
- Thinly slice the onion and cut into pieces and place into a large bowl with the cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, combined the vinegar, water, sugar, and Dilly Dust.
- Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers and onions and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but 6-12 hours is preferred, stirring occasionally. Can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- Before serving, stir again to coat evenly and drain slightly. You want a little juice, but the cucumbers shouldn't be swimming in it.
If you don't have Dilly Dust, you can use 1 Tablespoon dill, 1/4 Tablespoon salt, and 1/4 Tablespoon pepper. This will change the taste slightly, but it will still be good!
Other #CookoutWeek recipes from today:
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- How to Make Drinking Vinegar + My Blueberry Shrub Recipe - May 12, 2017
- Spiralized Kaleidoscope Salad - May 2, 2017
- Smokey Dijon Salmon Skewers #RecipeMakeover - April 28, 2017