I love happy accidents!
The last time I made cupcakes, I tried out a delicious buttercream recipe (with added chocolate)… but it ended up making almost double what I actually needed to frost my cupcakes.
I hate wasting anything, but I didn’t feel like mixing up another batch of cupcakes. So instead, I added some cream cheese and whipped cream to the leftover buttercream and piped the mixture into baked puff pastry cups.
The result? Totally addicting!!! My fiance’s brother and his wife happened to be in town, and they loved them too, so much that I made another batch later that week before they left to go home to Alabama.
We had so much fun with them while they were in town. That’s the worst part about living in Virginia. We love it here, but our families live in Alabama and Pennsylvania, so we don’t get to see them as often as we’d like. Of course, when they are in town, I love cooking and baking for them!
I’m posting the exact recipe I used below, but you could use this same idea with any chocolate frosting you make. Other flavors would be good too, but it is #Choctoberfest right now, so chocolate is on my mind! Oh, let’s be honest… chocolate is always on my mind.
Whenever you have extra icing, all you have to do is add some cream cheese and whipped cream to create these perfect little bites. Easy-peasy, and your guests will love them!
Make sure you enter our #Choctoberfest giveaway before it ends, and check out the other #Choctoberfest recipes being posted today – the full list is below.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 4 sheets puff pastry cups (2 packages)
- Bake the puff pastry cups according to directions and allow to cool while you are making the cream.
- Beat the butter and sugar, and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about 7 minutes).
- Add vanilla, salt, milk, and corn syrup. Whip to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time with your mixer on low. Continue to whip until frosting nearly doubles in size. Stiff peaks should form. Add more powdered sugar if your frosting is too soft.
- Melt chocolate chips and add to frosting.
- Fold whipped cream into frosting carefully.
- Use a pastry bag to fill cups. Add sprinkles if desired to decorate.
- Serve immediately.