All the photos in this post are courtesy of our awesome wedding photographer Stevie from Stevie B Photography. If you need a photographer in Central Pennsylvania, we highly recommend contacting her!
When I asked Jeffrey what flavor of cupcake he wanted for our wedding reception, it wasn’t even a contest.. he wanted red velvet. He loves red velvet. That’s something he has in common with my dad!
Red velvet isn’t typically my favorite, because it has a tendency to get dry. Then, my mom found a quick-and-easy red velvet cake recipe in an old church cookbook. It stays super moist thanks to the sour cream in the batter.
I know, I know, it sounds weird. But I promise you, this is the best red velvet cupcake recipe in the world!
The cupcakes for the wedding reception turned out great. We topped them with white chocolate buttercream instead of the traditional cream cheese, and they were a huge hit!
Here’s the recipe to try them yourself:
- 1 german chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 oz red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredients and beat according to directions on cake mix.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake papers and fill about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before adding desired frosting.
If you love red velvet as much as my husband and dad both do, here are some other recipes you can try out: