I was in my late 20s when I first had a po’boy sandwich. Don’t make fun of my! I’m a northern girl, so I never even saw it on a menu anywhere until I moved to Virginia.
These days, we live near an ocean fishing pier, which is home to a cute little restaurant with po’boys on the menu. Their homemade remoulade sauce is KILLER, so I decided to replicate it at home. They were a huge hit for lunch.
I made my po’boy with the breaded clam strips you can find in your freezer section, but you could bread your own, or go for the more traditional shrimp or oysters.
Here’s a tip if you are short on time… the grocery store sells broccoli slaw in bags, shredded and ready to go. That way you don’t have to cut the broccoli and cabbage yourself. But if you do want to make your own, I recommend using a mix of broccoli and napa cabbage, witch a bit of red cabbage and carrot thrown in there for color.
Crunchy broccoli slaw and savory clam strips pair perfectly with with this tangy remoulade sauce.
- 4 rolls
- Breaded clam strips
- 2 cups shredded broccoli and cabbage
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together ingredients for remoulade until well combined. Cover and chill while clam strips are frying. You can make sauce up to 24 hours in advance.
- Fry clam strips.
- Mix 1/2 of remoulade with broccoli slaw.
- Split rolls with a knife and remove some of the bread, so you have room to stuff the sandwich.
- Evenly distribute slaw. Top with clam strips, then drizzle extra remoulade and hot sauce if desired. Serve immediately.
You can bake the clam strips instead of frying. For a more traditional twist on this recipe, use breaded shrimp or oysters instead. If your entire family likes it spicy, add hot sauce directly to the remoulade.
Looking for more quick lunch recipes? Here are a few you might like…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Friday Frenzy #3: Getting Married Edition - June 23, 2017
- Friday Frenzy Link Party #2: Cute and Cuddly Edition - June 16, 2017
- Strawberry and Fig Jam Crescents - June 12, 2017