One of my best friends LOVES the candy Nerds. When we were little we used to get a big box of them, dump them into a bowl, and eat them with spoons. Years later, we’re still friends and even work together.
A few weeks before her birthday this year, I came across a pin for cupcakes that was perfect to make for her birthday treat! It’s basically funfetti cupcakes, only with nerds in the batter instead of sprinkles.
I will warn you, these cupcakes do end up being on the sweet side. I brought these into our office where not everyone loves Nerds like my friend does. So when I frosted them, I left some without Nerds on top, some with just a few Nerds, and some with a LOT of Nerds. Then everybody could grab one regardless of how much they like Nerds.
Grab box of white cake mix. Mix it up according to the directions on the box. Then add some nerds to the batter.
Fill a cupcake tin filled with papers about two-thirds full. I also added a few nerds on top yet. Bake according to the directions on the box.
When cool, frost with your favorite frosting (either homemade or pre-made). Sprinkle nerds on top before frosting is set.
My friend loved them for her birthday. They’re not something that I plan on making all the time, but it’s a fun idea for a party or birthday!
- 1 package white cake mix (plus ingredients called for on box)
- ¾ cups Nerds candy (plus extra for decorating)
- 1 container vanilla frosting
- Optional: food coloring for coloring frosting
- Prepare cake mix batter according to direction on package. Add .Nerds to batter
- Fill lined cupcake tin about two-thirds full. Bake according to the directions on the box.
- When cool, frost and sprinkle extra Nerds on top before frosting is set.