I’m the go-to girl in the neighborhood when someone is having a birthday… but I hate making cake! Okay, maybe hate is a strong word, but even though I have some favorite cake recipes (like this carrot cake) I usually prefer making cupcakes instead.
This time around, my neighbor was turning 40 and his wife requested German chocolate cupcakes as a surprise. Believe it or note, I’ve never made German chocolate cupcakes (or cake) before. I love chocolate, but I am not a huge fan of shredded coconut. My grandma used to make German chocolate cake when I was little, and I would always request it without the coconut frosting.
I mean, at that point, it’s it just chocolate cake?
Now, you can certainly make the German chocolate cupcakes for this recipe from scratch, but I went the semi-homemade route this time around. I used a Duncan Hines German chocolate cake mix. Duncan Hines cake mixes are my favorite – and no, they aren’t paying me to say that. I just legit love them!
You could just blob the coconut frosting on top, but I wanted to make these cupcakes extra fancy, so I also added a circle of chocolate frosting around the edge. Perty!
Here’s the printable… scroll down for more great cupcake recipes!
Chocolate, coconut, and pecans in one delicious bite.
- 24 German chocolate cupcakes (cake mix or scratch)
- 1 batch chocolate icing (store bought or homemade)
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 ounces evaporated milk (1/2 can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Whisk together the egg yolks, evaporated milk, vanilla, and butter in medium saucepan. Add the sugar whisk until it melts and the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add coconut and pecans. Stir to combine and allow to refrigerate.
- While coconut frosting is cooling, frost each cupcake with a ring of chocolate icing.
- Top each cupcake with a spoonful of the coconut frosting.
Here are more yummy cupcake recipes is the German chocolate cupcakes do not fit the bill…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Friday Frenzy #20: Chocolate Edition - October 20, 2017
- S’mores Cookie Cups #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie #Choctoberfest - October 20, 2017