Everyone loves a good brownie. They’re a crowd favorite. Plus, with all the different boxes mixes available today, they’re quick and super easy.
But plain ole brownies can be boring sometimes. You can make a box of brownies a little fancier by adding m&ms, pretzels, nuts, or even sprinkles on top. Why not try something a little more out of the ordinary? Add wine!
No seriously… add wine!
This idea actually comes from my mother (Sharon). She makes a different baked good for the wine trail the winery we work for participates in every March. One year, after seeing a recipe for red wine chocolate cupcakes, she somehow came up with this idea. And boy and I glad she did!
All you need is a box of brownie mix, the ingredients it calls for (generally eggs and oil) and a sweet fruit wine. You’ll also need some 10x sugar for the glaze. I like to use Strawberry wine, but any fruit wine that goes with chocolate works wonderfully.
Mix the brownie mix according to the directions on the box, EXCEPT substitute the water for wine. Bake the brownies according to the directions on the box. You know they’re done when after sticking a toothpick into the brownies, it comes out clean.
Now comes the good part… the glaze! When brownies are completely cool, add a tablespoon of wine at a time to the 10x sugar until you get a good consistency. Drizzle over top of the brownies and let set before cutting.
Delicious! The glaze totally makes these brownies. The wine in the brownies isn’t super noticeable, but makes the brownies a little richer and pair nicely with the glaze. They are seriously so yummy… I made them before my best friend and her brother came over to my house and we all ate two huge pieces before we went out. Yum.
Here’s an easy printable recipe.
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- ingredients mix calls for (eggs, oil, etc)
- 1 bottle sweet strawberry wine
- ½ cup 10x sugar
- Mix the brownie mix according to the directions on the box, substituting the amount of water called for with the same amount of wine.
- Bake the brownies according to the directions on the box, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When brownies are completely cool, add a tablespoon of wine at a time to the 10x sugar until you get a good consistency. Drizzle over top of the brownies and let set before cutting.
Latest posts by Jessica (see all)
- Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Toaster Pastries #RecipeMakeover - April 25, 2017
- Grandma’s Homemade Honey White Bread #FoodBloggerLove - February 13, 2017
- White Chocolate Butterscotch Cake Mix Cookies #FBLcookieexchange - December 5, 2016