When I originally started writing this blog post, I called it “Chocolate Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling.”
But let’s be honest.
This recipe is all about the cream cheese filling, which tastes just like cheesecake baked in the middle of your bundt cake. The chocolate cake recipe doesn’t actually matter, because it is just a backdrop for the cheesecake filling.
In fact, since making this recipe the first time, I’ve made it several times since, and have *gasp* used a cake mix. It turns out great.
You don’t even have to use chocolate. A carrot cake mix or spiced cake mix would be divine. Or what about one of those strawberry cake mixes? Whip up your favorite cake mix – or use a box, I won’t tell – and add this cheesecake filling. YUM.
Here’s the thing. I know I’m a food blogger, and some of the food bloggers out there would completely roll there eyes at the thought of using a cake mix or anything that isn’t 100% homemade. But I am completely in favor of semi-homemade recipes! Because as much as I love being in the kitchen, I love spending time with my friends and family too. When I have a dinner party, it is not fun to be stuck in the kitchen when I could be enjoying time with loved ones. So semi-homemade recipes are my jam. (In fact, here’s another one I love – Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes!)
Two thumbs way up for this filling from everyone who had ever eaten one of my filled bundt cakes. No one has ever completed about the chocolate part being from a box.
Oh, one little trick you should know – with this recipe, it is really, really easy to overcook the cake. I’ve done that a few times, and while the filling is still good, it just isn’t the same when it is a more cake-like texture than when it is a little on the underdone side. So when you’re baking your cake, follow the directions, but subtract a minute or two from the time and start checking at that point. Obviously you want your cake to be set, but you do not want the filling to get dry!
This cream cheese filling is perfect for any bundt cake recipe, even cake mixes! It works with chocolate, strawberry, carrot, spiced, and a variety of other cake flavors.
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- Cake mix or ingredients for your favorite cake recipe
- Icing and decorations, if desired
- Prepare your cake mix according to the recipe directions. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 into a sprayed bundt cake pan.
- Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and egg until well combined. Using a spoon or cookie scoop, carefully add the filling to the pan on top of your cake mix (it will sink slightly.) Try to keep the filling in the center, not touching the edges of the pan.
- Add the rest of the cake mix.
- Bake according to cake directions, subtracting a few minutes to prevent the filling from getting too done and cake-like (you want it to be just a hair underdone.
- Remove from pan and decorate with icing and sprinkles when cool, if desired. (You can also sprinkle with powdered sugar instead, just before serving.