Brownies are such a common, but absolutely loved chocolate treat. Boxed mixes are so handy and easy, but this is my go to recipe when I want to made 100% homemade brownies! They’re have more of a cakey consistency than a gooey one, which I personally prefer. Our family has had this recipe in our recipe books so long that I have no idea where it originally came from!
The best part about this recipe is that you can layer all the dry ingredients into a mason jar and give it as a gift! Making these brownies is no harder than making a boxed mix, so it’s super easy for the person the receives the jar to actually make them!
Helpful Hints: When you’re laying the ingredients in the jar, pack them in there pretty hard. Otherwise you’ll run out of room and have a hard time getting the last layer in there! A wide mouth jar will be easier to fill. If you have a regular jar, use a funnel to help get the ingredients in nice layers. You can download a printable of the tag with the instructions here.
Special thank you to Imperial Sugar, our #Choctoberfest Gold sponsor! They sent us a ton of sugar to use in our recipes during #Choctoberfest plus some other fun kitchen gifts. Give it a try, or use your sugar of choice if Imperial Sugar is not available in your area.
On Imperial Sugar’s website, you can add your favorite family recipes, and they’ll choose their favorites to promote via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and their Sweetalk Newsletter, so you could see your name up in lights. Check it out now on the Imperial Sugar website.
Don’t forget to enter our #Choctoberfest giveaway for your chance to win a sweet prize pack valued at over $350 and check out the other #Choctoberfest recipes being posted today (you’ll find ’em below the recipe).
A cakey brownie recipe that's so easy, it can be a great gift!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar (white granulated sugar)
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cups melted butter
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- In a quart size mason jar, layer brown sugar, white sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips. Pack each layer down before adding the next. Close jar and tie instruction tag with to jar with ribbon.
- Whisk brown sugar, white sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla, melted butter, and boiling water. Mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 9”x13” cake pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).
Latest posts by Jessica (see all)
- Mammy Heckert Caramel Icing Cookies - July 5, 2017
- M&M Cookies - June 19, 2017
- Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Toaster Pastries #RecipeMakeover - April 25, 2017