During the month of October, team up with other food and lifestyle bloggers to show your love for chocolate. #Choctoberfest will be happening October 16 – October 21, 2017, and we’d love to have you on board to participate!
The Short Version
- This event is 100% virtual.
- We use email, a Facebook group, and a spreadsheet to stay connected.
- On the first day, everyone posts about our giveaway. We secure the prize, create the giveaway widget, and draw the winner. All you have to do is post it on your blog.
- During the rest of the week, everyone posts chocolate recipes and other chocolate-related posts. Every post has a linky code at the end with the other posts that went live that day, so we can all drive traffic to one another.
- There are sponsors. You do not have to sign up to work with them. It is completely optional and NOT the focus of the event. (It is just an added bonus.)
- At the end, I publish a huge round-up of all the recipes, which you can republish if you want (not required).
In short… it’s a way to drive traffic, meet new food bloggers, and find delicious chocolate recipes to try.
Got it? Awesome! Here are the nitty-gritty details about each aspect:
To kick things off, we’ll be posting a fun chocolate giveaway on October 16. You must be able to commit to posting this giveaway on October 16, 2017 by noon EST. You will receive the full html for this post by October 1 (and you are welcome to add your own flair to it as long as links are intact).
The giveaway will be a huge chocolate-y gift pack worth over $300.
One of your social links will be a follow entry for the giveaway. So, for example, you could choose Pinterest, and then every person who enters the giveaway can follow you on Pinterest for an additional entry. So it’s an awesome way to build your following on whatever social network is most important to you.
Example of last year’s giveaway post: http://thepintertestkitchen.com/choctoberfest-2016/
The Posting Commitment
All participants must post a minimum of three chocolate-related recipe posts between October 16 and October 20, 2017. (One can be the giveaway announcement.) There will be opportunities to review, taste-test, and use products from sponsors! You can also do all non-sponsored posts.
You’re also encouraged to post more than three recipes (most bloggers do… more posts = more traffic).
You will be provided a linky code to include at the end of your posts, which will link up to everyone else who is participating that day. That way, we can all help promote one another!
We have a different linky code for each day so that the list of recipes is not a mile long. We’ve found that this is the best option for driving the most traffic between blog posts.
If you’ve never used a linky code before, don’t worry. It is very easy, and we tell you exactly how to do it.
Every year, we secure sponsors to send out products to participating bloggers, provide the items for the giveaway, and pay for admin costs. We also use the money from sponsors to pay for social promotion to bloggers’ posts, especially on Pinterest.
You can opt out of working with sponsors EXCEPT in two ways:
- List them on your giveaway post
- Choose at least 1 sponsor from the list and say thank you on social media at some point during the week
They’re providing the prizes, so it’s only fair. But you don’t have to work with sponsors to do individual sponsors posts or social media promotions. It’s completely up to you.
You will be provided with a form in 1-2 weeks to let us know if you want to review/use sponsored products or not.
We always have a large variety of sponsors. I know for sure that we have two returning from previous years – Imperial Sugar and Barlean’s. New sponsors will also be participating.
The Promotional Commitment
There are two promotional commitments for all participants:
- You must promote the the giveaway at least three times on social media between October 16 – 20, 2017 .
- You must choose at least 1 sponsor from the list and say “thanks for sponsoring” on a social network of your choice.
Other than that, there are no promotional requirements… but that said, we will have a private Facebook group where we will all share one another’s posts across Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and more. It’s a great way to drive more traffic to your site, and to meet blogger friends.
We will also have a shared Pinterest board where you can post your recipes during #Choctoberfest AND any other chocolate recipes on your blog! So, it’s a great way to get even more eyeballs on your older posts and your posts for this celebration.
That’s it! Questions? Email me today at allisonmboyer -at- gmail.com
Here’s the form to sign up. Please do not sign up unless you are committed to participating! (We do understand that some people have to drop out due to unforeseen circumstances, but we like to have an accurate idea of how many bloggers are taking part.)
PLEASE NOTE: Sign-ups will continue through October 1, but the bloggers who sign up after Sept 16 will not be able to do individual sponsored posts with sponsored products, as we had to make sure those products were sent out with enough lead time to develop recipes. You can still post chocolate recipes and connect with other bloggers, which is the main focus of the event!