I’m always looking for some low carb recipes. My husband is diabetic and has to watch sugar and carbs. He LOVES pizza and pizza has a lot of carbs, especially in the crust, so I’ve been on the lookout for alternatives
I pinned a Crock Pot Pizza recipe from Your Lighter Side that sounded pretty good. I tried the recipe and instead of using the crockpot, I baked it in the oven. It tasted like pizza but without the crust and all the carbs.
This is definitely a recipe I’ll be making again.
Here are the ingredients I used: ground beef, bulk fresh sausage, minced garlic, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, fresh baby spinach, pepperoni, and any of your favorite toppings ( I used onions, peppers, oregano, and Italian seasoning).
Preheat oven to 350. Brown the ground beef and the bulk fresh sausage until it is no longer pink. Add the minced garlic and fry a couple more minutes. Mix in a jar of your favorite pizza sauce and cook about 5 minutes more. You could make homemade pizza sauce if you want, but I won’t tell if you use the store-bought kind like me! Shhh…no one needs to know.
Place 1/2 of the meat sauce mixture in a 11″ x 7″ baking pan, and 1/2 of the fresh baby spinach on top of that. Put pepperonis on next and layer on any other toppings you want. I used onions, peppers, oregano, and Italian seasoning, since that’s what our family likes. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese on top of those ingredients. Repeat the layers again ending with the mozzarella cheese.
Cover the whole thing with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest about 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Cut into about 8 slices – but be aware that this will probably serve fewer than 8 people because it’s so tasty that you’ll want seconds. And you don’t even have to feel so guilty about that second serving, because this is pizza without the crust and all the carbs!
- ¾ pound ground beef
- ¾ pound fresh bulk sausage
- 1- 15 ounce jar pizza sauce
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices of pepperoni
- minced garlic to your taste
- toppings of your choice( I used onions, peppers, oregano, and italian seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground beef and fresh bulk sausage until no longer pink. Add minced garlic and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Mix in pizza sauce and cook 5 minutes more.
- Place ½ the meat sauce mixture in a 11" x 7" baking pan.
- Place ½ the fresh baby spinach on top of the sauce.
- Place pepperoni on top of spinach and the rest of your toppings.
- Sprinkle ½ the shredded mozzarella cheese on top next.
- Repeat with the layers another time and ending with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cut into about 8 pieces.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018
- Triple Chocolate Truffles #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2018
- Easy S’mores Cookies + 12 S’mores Inspired Recipes #Choctoberfest - October 15, 2018