I have two issues with potato chips, though. First, they’re really bad for you. Not only are they really fatty, but like all packaged foods, they also usually contain a lot of crap that is totally unnecessary. I hate it when I can’t pronounce ingredients. Second, they’re really salty. Salt isn’t good for you of course, but I legitimately don’t like it when chips are super salty.
So, I decided to test out this microwave potato chip recipe, which is originally from The Kitchn. At least I have a little control over the ingredients if I make them at home! I was definitely skeptical about microwaving potatoes to make chips, though. It just sounds like like won’t work.
Pleasant surprise: This is an excellent recipe! I did have one minor complaint, but I would totally make these microwave potato chips again.To make this recipe, you simply need 1-2 potatoes (per person), olive oil, and salt (optional). Here at the directions:
If you have a mandolin, slicing will be easier, but I was fine carefully cutting slices with a sharp knife. You could sprinkle with salt or even other seasonings before microwaving. I bet Old Bay would be really yummy!
Every microwave is different, but the time that worked for me was 3 minutes on full power, flip, and then 3 minutes on 50% power.
My complaint is that this took a LONG time for a single serving because you have to layer the slices without them touching. Let’s just say you aren’t going to make chips for a party this way. But for a snack, especially if you usually don’t allows yourself to have chips, these are PERFECT.
- Potato (1-2 per person)
- Olive Oil
- Slice potatoes as thing as possible (peel first if desired).
- Rinse slice until the water runs clear.
- Pat dry and layer on a plate.
- Brush each slice with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Flip slices and microwave for 3 minutes on 50% power.
Looking for something to dip your homemade potato chips in? Check out our recipes for Queso and Spinach Artichoke Dip.
Nutritional Information on My Recipe Magic: Microwave Potato Chips
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- Sealed with a Kiss Cookies (Peanut Butter Blossoms) #FoodBloggerLove - February 11, 2019
- Individual No-Bake Chocolate-Cherry Cheesecakes with Biscoff Crust - January 17, 2019
- Happy Holidays! Kitchen Aid Giveaway! - December 10, 2018