Who doesn’t like chocolate and nuts together? I think it is the combination of sweet and salty that we crave. Whenever I eat chips, I end up having a piece of chocolate to top it off.
So for #Choctoberfest with Imperial Sugar, I knew I wanted to make a recipe that combines these two tasty ingredients.
(If you haven’t entered our #Choctoberfest giveaway yet, make sure you head over to this post to enter to win a prize pack worth over $350!)
I found a recipe for mini chocolate pecan pies on Mom On Timeout. It has that perfect combination of sweet and salty that I was looking for.
I started gathering my ingredients and as usual I didn’t have enough of one of the ingredients. I didn’t have enough pecans. We live in a pretty rural area of Pennsylvania, which means it is a great place to raise a family and enjoy nature… but if you need to “run to the store” it takes about an hour. So we have to improvise when we haven’t planned ahead! I mixed pecans and walnuts. It works really well… I think even better than with just pecans alone.
Instead of using a regular size muffin pan, I used the mini pans. I wanted just a bite, so they are perfect for parties and cookie trays. The holidays are coming!
I couldn’t hardly wait until the tart cooled off so I wouldn’t burn my tongue. Warm, gooey nut and chocolate filling in a cream cheese crust was just wonderful. It was hard not to eat just one. Yum, yum, yum!!!!
Here’s the recipe… and keep scrolling for a full list of all of the yummy #Choctoberfest recipes being posting today!
Mini Chocolate Pecan and Walnut Tarts
Chocolate and nuts are the perfect pair in these sweet mini tarts.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (such as Imperial Sugar brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Sift together the flour and salt, and then stir into the butter and cream cheese mixture.
- Form the dough into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill while you make the tart filling.
- In a large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, corn syrup, egg and melted butter.
- Stir in salt, vanilla, chopped nuts, and chocolate chips.
- Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray well to prevent sticking.
- Cut the chilled crust into 20 slices, and press each slice into the muffin pan. Use your finger or a spoon to work the dough up the side to create a cup shape.
- Fill each cup with the nut filling and back at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Let tarts cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, then remove to cool complete.
The following two tabs change content below.
Sharon is a co-founder here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She works part-time at a local winery and is also very involved in running her husband’s wrought iron business.