Every year for Valentine’s Day, I make my fiance Jeffrey some kind of special dessert. Well this year, I decided to do something different. We went to the grocery store, and I let him pick any ingredient in the whole store for me to make his Valentine’s Day dessert.
As you can imagine if you know Jeffrey, he got a really evil grin on his face, and totally went Alton Brown from Cutthroat Kitchen on me for a second…
Until I reminded him that whether he came back with shrimp or peanut butter, it was going into a dessert that he’d have to eat!
So, luckily, he stayed away from bringing me anything too weird.
But I have to admit, I was definitely not expecting him to come back with a jar of marshmallow fluff. When he dropped that into the cart, I thought, “What the heck am I going to make with marshmallow fluff?!?!”
The next day, inspiration struck! We went to see Deadpool and got some candy before going into the theater. They had these new moon pie bites they were advertising, and Jeffrey commented that they were really good. Whenever he gets moon pies, he eats the entire box in like, two days, so I know they are a favorite treat of his. So I thought Moon Pie Cupcakes would be a great spin on something I know he loves!
These cupcakes turned out fantastic! They are definitely in the “semi-homemade” category, since I just used a white cake mix, doctored with some cinnamon for more of a moon pie flavor. The center is pure marshmallow fluff, and the chocolate ganache icing is the same that I use for my easy Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes, which are also a favorite in this house.
They were a hit – Jeffrey loved them.
Here’s the recipe! If you don’t like using cake mixes, feel free to use any white cake recipe you have that you like.
Sweet cupcakes that mimic the flavor of moon pies.
- 1 box white cake mix + eggs and oil (according to box directions)
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Mix up the cake batter according to the box directions, adding the cinnamon.
- Fill lined cupcake tins 2/3 full and bake according to directions on the box.
- Allow cupcakes to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the ganache. Chop the chocolate into small pieces. (You can also use chocolate chips.) Add to a small bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Watch it very closely, and remove from heat when it is just about to boil.
- Pour heavy cream over chocolate and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Stir until smooth. (If you like a thicker icing, use more chocolate.)
- Use pastry bag with metal tip to fill each cupcake with marshmallow.
- Dip each cupcake in ganache and allow icing to cool and harden before serving.
If you’re looking for a yummy cupcake recipe, but moon pie flavors aren’t doing it for you, here are a few other recipes we love…
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- How to Make Drinking Vinegar + My Blueberry Shrub Recipe - May 12, 2017
- Spiralized Kaleidoscope Salad - May 2, 2017
- Smokey Dijon Salmon Skewers #RecipeMakeover - April 28, 2017