I know, I know…orange sugar cookies sound totally weird. At least, that’s what I thought when I first saw this recipe!
But I was looking for a citrus-y recipe to use my brand new juicer and reamer from Casabella (one of our #HotSummerEats sponsors), and this idea popped up on Pinterest…
I just couldn’t get it out of my head.
So, I made a half batch, thinking they were going to be nasty. And…oh my god, were they ever delicious! We scarfed down that whole measly batch in about five minutes! These cookies are sweet with a little tangy from the orange – totally addicting!
This is the same orange glaze that I used on the Orange Chocolate Chip Scones I made last month. So if you have any left over after making these cookies…well, I guess you are just going to have to make a batch of scones too!
When you make these cookies, be VERY CAREFUL to cook them for the right amount of time. It’s hard to tell when they are done because they don’t expand or even brown much. I highly recommend a test batch of 4-5 cookies to make sure you’ve got the timing right for your oven, since even oven is different. My first batch wasn’t in the oven long enough so the first cookies were a little underdone.
Not that it stopped my boyfriend from eating them. I swear he’s a swarm of locus sometimes!
Thank you, Casabella, for the awesome juicer! It comes apart in pieces so you can use it to juice just about anything…plus, it’s super easy to clean. Love!
If you want to win some of your own Casabella products, along with other summery prizes, check out the #HotSummerEats giveaway on this post. Get those entries in!
And you can check out who else is posting #HotSummerEats recipes today below – don’t forget to scroll down for the full Orange Sugar Cookies recipe. Trust me, your family will thank you.
Orange Sugar Cookies #HotSummerEats
Sweet sugar cookies with a zesty orange flavor and a sweet orange-vanilla glaze.
- 1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1-2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- For Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- orange food coloring (optional)
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add orange juice and zest and beat on medium for 1-2 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together dry ingredients for the cookies.
- With mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Working with small pieces at a time, warm the dough in your hands slightly and roll out on a lightly-floured surface until 1/8 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters or a glass to cut out shapes/circles.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until cookies are very lightly browned. (Do a test batch first of 4-5 cookies - cooking time can be anywhere from 8 - 12 minutes depending on your oven)
- Combine ingredients for glaze and drizzle over cookies once they have cooled. Allow glaze to set before serving.
The following two tabs change content below.
Allison is one of the co-founders here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She also works as a content marketing consultant and freelance writer - find out more at AllisonBoyer.com.