This month’s Secret Recipe Baking Club assignment for us is The Harried Cook. I checked out the recipes from Marsha’ s blog this month, since Allison and Jessica had extra-busy months with work. Marsha has a lot of baking recipes, which are right up my alley. I would rather bake then cook.
I love to try new cookie recipes. At Christmastime my daughters call me the cookie lady. I make trays of cookies to give out with many different kinds of cookies on the tray.
I decided to choose Marsha’s recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies w/ Chocolate Centers. Make sure you check out her post about why she made the cookies, because it is a very touching story.
Peanut butter and chocolate are a wonderful together. The cookie dough gets wrapped around a square of a chocolate bar. I had some Hershey’ s chocolate bars that I broke into pieces and put in the middle. The Hershey miniatures would be good too. I like a chewy peanut butter cookie so I didn’t let them get too brown.
This is a great cookie recipe. Try one while warm, then the chocolate is still melty.
The Harried Cook had some other recipes that I’m looking forward to trying out, especially Rocky Road Cupcakes and Moist Carrot Cake w/Coconut Milk Magic Frosting. But for now, here’s this cookie recipe, which I’m going to rename “Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies” since the chocolate center is the perfect surprise.
Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
These chewy peanut butter cookies have a chocolatey surprise inside
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Hershey's milk or dark chocolate bars, cut in pieces
- Cream together the softened butter and the sugars.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and peanut butter. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture and mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- After chilled press a square of chocolate into a portion of dough and form a ball with the chocolate in the center.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes until just set if you want a chewy cookie.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Great to eat warm while the chocolate is melty.
Secret Recipe Club is the Secret Santa of the food blog world! We all make recipes from our secret assignment blog once a month, then have fun seeing everyone’s results on reveal day. Check out who else is playing along in my group:
The following two tabs change content below.
Sharon is a co-founder here at The PinterTest Kitchen. She works part-time at a local winery and is also very involved in running her husband’s wrought iron business.