Do you want to make a coffee cake that is moist and delicious and easy to make? Stupid question. Of course you do!
I love coffee cake because it can be breakfast, dessert, or a mid-day snack. I had some fresh raspberries in the refrigerator and needed something to do with them, so I decided to try out a Taste of Home recipe. Whenever a cake recipe calls for sour cream, you know it is going to be good!
Truth be told, you don’t even need the chocolate drizzle on top. This cake is great on its own. That little hint of chocolate just takes it over the top.
Want to try this delicious cake yourself? Here’s the printable recipe:
The perfect cake for breakfast or dessert.
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar( Imperial Sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup thin sliced almonds
- Icing ingredients:
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Grease and flour an 8" round or square pan. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl gently toss raspberries with brown sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, melted butter and almond extract.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the sugared raspberries. Spoon the remaining batter on top of the raspberries. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- When cool mix confectioners sugar, milk, and almond extract. Drizzle on top.
- Melt the chocolate chips drizzle on top.
- Slice and serve with a few fresh raspberries.
If you like raspberries, check out some of these other great recipes: