*Papa Boyer is in the hospital right now getting heart surgery. We’re all praying for a speedy recovery (and planning some healthy recipes for his return). Thoughts and prayers are definitely appreciated.*
Any red velvet cookie always deserves a second look from me. Our whole family likes red velvet goodies. This Red Velvet Cookie recipe was found in the 2010 Betty Crocker Christmas cookie recipe book and I also pinned it from the Betty Crocker website.
The recipe is another easy recipe using a Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, just like the Dark Chocolate Apricot Cookie recipe I recently posted. It makes a nice and easy cookie to add to your Christmas cookie list.
The festive red color is a bonus!
Here is a list of the ingredients: Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix, unsweetened baking cocoa, softened butter, sour cream, red food color, and 1 egg.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the cookie mix, cocoa, butter, sour cream, red food color and egg until soft dough forms. The dough will be somewhat sticky.
Drop the dough by rounded teaspoon on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2″ apart. Bake your cookies 8-9 minutes or until set. Give the cookies a few minutes of cooling time on the cookie sheet before removing them to a baking rack to cool completely.
For the frosting you can use a store bought cream cheese frosting or you can make your own. I even leave a few plain for those who don’t like cream cheese frosting.
Here are the ingredients if you decide to make your own: softened cream cheese, softened butter, 10 x sugar, vanilla and milk.
Mix all the frosting ingredients together until smooth. Cool a few minutes and remove from sheet to cool completely. Frost cookies. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of icing for an extra treat. Well, if you like them.
Here is a printable recipe.
- 1 Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- ⅓ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red food color
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 cups 10 X sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Optional: chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, mix together cookie mix, unsweetened baking cocoa, softened butter, sour cream, red food color, and egg until soft dough forms.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoon on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart.
- Bake about 8-9 minutes or until set.
- Cool a few minutes and remove from sheet and cool completely.
- For frosting mix together softened cream cheese, softened butter, 10 X sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Frost cookies. Some chopped can be sprinkled on top.
Latest posts by Sharon (see all)
- Hot Cocoa Cookies #Choctoberfest - October 19, 2018
- Triple Chocolate Truffles #Choctoberfest - October 16, 2018
- Easy S’mores Cookies + 12 S’mores Inspired Recipes #Choctoberfest - October 15, 2018