I don’t mind some raw veggies to much on for a snack or even a salad as a meal, but when it comes to cooked veggies…blech. Peas, broccoli, green beans…yuck, yuck, yuck. I don’t even really liked cooked carrots or corn on the cob, but I’ll eat ’em. Mostly because I feel guilty and super unhealthy if I don’t.
One cooked vegetable I do happen to like, though, is asparagus. It makes your pee smell funny, but it’s totally worth it. Especially when you combine it with quite possibly the best food of all time: bacon.
Today’s recipe for Sesame Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus was pinned from my roommate Leighann, who made this dish during our little Thanksgiving celebration this weekend! She originally pinned this recipe from Kathy St, and the dish can originally be found on How Sweet It Is.
Because I wasn’t the one doing the cooking this time, I on’t have a ton of fancy pictures to share. But the recipe below is so simple that I suspect you don’t need all the pictures I would have taken anyway!
One notable change that I made from the original recipe: a higher temperature and shorter cooking time. Originally, the recipe called for 35-40 minutes at 400 degrees. When I roast asparagus, though, I usually do at 450 degrees (425 at the lowest if I’m also baking something else that requires a lower temperature) for 10-15 minutes. This prevents the asparagus from getting soggy.
Our asparagus was a little on the soggy side. No fault of Leighann’s! She never made this dish before either. The recipe simply needs a little tweaking. I think it still needs more than 15 minutes since the asparagus is in a bundle instead of flat on the pan, an the bacon needs time to crisp. But upping the temp is a definite must!
Other than that, no complaints – they are really pretty (perfect for a holiday party or any time you’re trying to impress someone), easy to make, and super tasty. Here’s the printable:
- 1 bunch asparagus, rinsed and with the stem end cut off
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil (optional - or add ½ more olive oil)
- 1½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Divide the asparagus into four small bunches.
- Wrap a slice of bacon tightly around each bunch.
- Whisk together oils, brown sugar, and garlic. Brush each asparagus bundle with mixture.
- Place bundles on a wire rack over a foil-lined baking sheet or pan. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas - May 20, 2015
- The Best Raspberry Frosting of All Time - May 18, 2015
- Orange Chocolate Chip Scones with Vanilla-Orange Glaze - May 16, 2015