I’m a huge fan of turkey paninis, but I don’t own a panini press. But did you know that you can make paninis at home – really delicious paninis – without owning a press?
Recently, I got the chance to try Oscar Mayer Selects Natural Applewood Smoked Turkey lunch meat, and I knew it would be prefect in a panini with an avocado mayonnaise spread and some slices of fresh mozzarella on rye bread. Oscar Mayer Selects Natural is available in four other flavors as well, if smoked turkey isn’t your thing: Slow Roasted Turkey, Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken, Applewood Smoked Ham, and Slow Roasted Roast Beef.
Instead of a sandwich, I decided to turn this recipe into a panini. No press? No problem! All you need is a frying pan and a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. You want to heat both of them, then place you sandwich in the frying pan and place the heavier dutch over or cast iron skillet on top. It’s a make-shift press that works exactly like a panini press.
This avocado mayonnaise spread is my favorite condiment for sandwiches and paninis, and I especially love how it pairs with turkey. (You can see in the above picture how I’m heating my red cast-iron skillet in preparation to press the panini.)
Oscar Mayer Selects Natural is made with no artificial ingredients, and is minimally processed. Selects Natural has no artificial preservatives (the back side of each package lists the ingredients used to preserve quality), no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, no gluten and no by-products. The “no artificial color” part is super important to me personally, because I’m sensitive to some artificial colors and usually have to be careful about what I eat so I don’t have a headache for the rest of the day.
My fiance and I genuinely enjoy Oscar Mayer Selects Natural and have gone back to the supermarket to pick up a pack three times since doing the initial review. It is the perfect choice for anyone looking for quality cold cuts that have no artificial ingredients and delicious taste.
And seriously, this avocado mayonnaise spread is amazing. I put it on just about all of my sandwiches these days.
Here’s the recipe to try this panini at home:
Well-balanced panini with turkey breast, mozzarella cheese, and homemade avocado mayonnaise spread on rye bread.
- 4 ounces smoked turkey breast lunch meat
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2-4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- dash salt and pepper
- Use a fork to mash the avocado with mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Spread avocado mayonnaise on two slices of rye bread. Top each with 2 ounces of turkey breast and 1-2 slices of mozzarella cheese and second slice of bread.
- Heat dutch oven or cast iron skillet.
- Place sandwich in a pan over medium heat. Place hot dutch over or cast iron skillet on top to press the panini. Alternatively, you could use a panini press.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Latest posts by Allison (see all)
- How to Make Drinking Vinegar + My Blueberry Shrub Recipe - May 12, 2017
- Spiralized Kaleidoscope Salad - May 2, 2017
- Smokey Dijon Salmon Skewers #RecipeMakeover - April 28, 2017