Did you ever make a new recipe for your husband and he looked at it and said, “What the heck is that?” That’s what happened when I made this Strawberry Spinach Salad the first time. So I replied, ” Shut up and eat it.”
My husband put some salad on his plate and soon he was getting more. Now he requests this salad!
The first time I had this salad was at a church Mother’s Day banquet. I had my doubts, but I tried the salad and it was good! The salad recipe is in the church cookbook. The salad is also very easy to make. It’s the perfect recipe for those lazy summer days when you want something light for lunch and don’t feel like heating up your whole house by turning on the oven or stove.
Plus, we grow our own strawberries, so when the garden is pumping them out, this is a great non-dessert recipe to put them to good use!
These are the ingredients: baby spinach, strawberries, walnuts, onions, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, and yellow mustard.
Roughly chop the baby spinach and slice the strawberries into a salad bowl. Then, finely slice the onions and chop walnuts (I usually buy the chopped walnuts to save some time). Add to the salad.
In a small bowl whisk together the oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, and yellow mustard.
When you are ready to serve the salad, pour the dressing over top and toss. If you pour the dressing over top too far ahead of time the spinach will get soggy.
That’s it! If you don’t have your own strawberry patch like we do, head to your local farmer’s market during the summer to pick up some fresh produce. Of course, you can get strawberries from your grocery store or even thaw out some frozen berries for this recipe, but it’s always nice to support your local farmers (and those berries usually taste the best and last longer in your fridge anyway).
Here’s the printable recipe for this salad:
- ½ bag baby spinach ( 3 ounces)
- 6-8 strawberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup finely sliced sweet onions
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Roughly chop baby spinach and slice strawberries. Put into a salad bowl.
- Add the chopped walnuts and finely sliced sweet onions to the bowl.
- Whisk together the oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, celery seed, and prepared yellow mustard.
- When you are ready to serve the salad pour dressing over the salad and toss. Salad will get soggy if dressing is poured over salad ahead of time.